Care home resident, 78, died of a massive drugs overdose

A care home resident died from a drugs overdose after an agency nurse gave her a powerful painkiller which was prescribed to a patient with the same name an inquest heard.

The resident 78, had only been at the Cedar Court Care Home in Wigston, Leicestershire, for a few hours when she was accidentally given a dose of oxycodone which was meant for another patient.

An inquest into her death heard how the dosage of the drug – a powerful painkiller similar to morphine – was the right amount for the other Resident, but was 16 times the safe amount for the resident

More

At the time of the residents death, the police investigated, but the case was dismissed by the Crown Prosecution Service, the inquest heard.

The inquest continues.