Unregistered gas fitter fined for dangerous installation of range cooker at care home

A fitter has been fined following a gas leak from a newly fitted range installed in a North Devon residential care home.

The court heard that in December Mark Whitham undertook the installation of the new gas range cooker after damaging the existing gas cooker whilst fitting out  a new kitchen.
Over the next 24 hours staff at the care home experienced problems with the operation of the cooker & contacted their usual Gas Safe Registered engineer.
He found a substantial gas leak from the gas supply connection to the cooker.

An investigation by the HSE found that Mr Whitham was not registered with the Gas Safe Register.
He was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment for each offence, suspended for 12 months. He was also ordered to undertake 120 hours unpaid work  &costs of £2,000

More