Tapely care Home in Liverpool was prosecuted after it broke a series of fire safety regulations, and put its residents ‘at risk’.
Failures identified included: failing to maintain fire separation in cupboard ceilings, corridors walls, the ground floor store room and the basement; failing to provide ‘appropriate’ fire detectors and alarms; a failure to remove combustible materials from a means of escape; failure to provide an ‘adequate’ fire door with ‘appropriate’ safety strips and seals; a failure to ensure the facility was ‘subject to a suitable system of maintenance, in efficient working order & good state of repair’.
Despite this & the home’s guilty plea, due to ‘concerns about a very large fine having a detrimental impact on service users’ the fine was set at £6,000 plus costs. Read details
AHEAD OF a debate in Parliament on fire safety and sprinklers, the National Fire Chiefs Council has said that England is lagging behind Scotland and Wales when it comes to the inclusion of sprinklers and calls for a change in legislation.
According to NFCC, England needs to come into line with Scotland and Wales, who have both introduced a reduction in height restriction for the fitting of sprinklers, and in some cases the requirement for mandatory installation in flats and specialised dwellings, such as care homes. NFCC also want to see sprinklers fitted in schools for property protection in addition to life safety, along with being fitted in facilities providing waste management and recycling.
Fire chief warns about the hazards of vanity mirrors after care home blaze.
Staffordshire FRS has issued a warning about the dangers of make-up and vanity mirrors when placed in direct sunlight, after a fire broke out at Nethermoor House care home in Rugeley, Staffordshire.
The cause of the fire was direct sunlight shining onto a make-up mirror, which then set light to nearby curtains. More
A fire has devastated the Old Vicarage Care Home near Llanrwst.
The fire has caused “significant” damage to the roof and first floor of the property, although the full extent of the damage is still being assessed.
Crews used ladders and breathing apparatus to reach seven of the residents reported trapped on the ground and first floor of the building.
Six of them were taken to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd to be checked over.
The other 19 residents were evacuated safely with the help of care home staff, paramedics and police.
A joint investigation by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service and the police suggests the blaze was sparked by electrics in a first floor store cupboard.
The official launch of the NFCC Specialised Housing Guidance took place on 4th May at the CFOA conference.
The NFCC has provided recommendations designed to protect residents of specialised housing from fire.
Its recommendations relate to various forms of sheltered housing, extra care housing, and also supported housing for people with common characteristics, such as learning disabilities and mental health problems.
A common factor in the premises to which the guide applies is the ability to facilitate person-centred planning.