Police inquiries and unannounced inspections have been carried out at disability care homes in West Sussex.
They were in response to “significant safeguarding concerns” after a number of reported deaths.
The CQC was alerted to Sussex Health Care services by West Sussex County Council.
New placements have now been suspended to eight homes run by the organisation.
Two homes in Horsham were identified by the CQC as homes with “significant safeguarding concerns”. The Laurels in Guildford Road – for young adults only – and Orchard Lodge in Dorking Road, cater for people with complex physical and learning difficulties.
A care home company has been fined almost half a million pounds after an elderly resident fell from her first floor window and died.
An 87-year-old was staying at the Coppice Lea Nursing home in Surrey, owned and managed by Caring Homes Healthcare Group Limited. In the early hours of 3 October 2013, the woman fell about four metres through her window.
She was reported missing at 1am and found two hours later. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Caring Homes Healthcare Group Limited of The Colchester Business Park, Essex, pleaded guilty and was fined £450,000 and ordered to pay costs of £14,762.44.
United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust has been fined following the death of 53-year-old man at Pilgrim Hospital in Boston.
Lincoln Crown Court heard that the patient at the hospital, died in April 2012 from internal injuries after falling onto an exposed metal post on the standing aid hoist that staff were using to support him.
The knee pad on the standing aid hoist had been incorrectly removed leaving the exposed metal post that caused the fatal injuries when he collapsed after standing up.
HSE investigation found the Trust did not have systems for training and monitoring how staff used the standing aid hoist and unsafe practices had developed.
It was fined £1 million and ordered to repay £160,000 in costs.
The trust has also been ordered to pay £3800 to the family to cover the costs of the funeral.
A warning alert has been issued around the risk of death and severe harm from ingestion of super absorbent polymer gel granules.
Super absorbent polymer gel granules are widely used in health and social care, typically as small sachets placed in urine and vomit bowls. On contact with liquid, the sachet opens and the granules almost instantaneously absorb, expand and solidify the liquid. This can protect patients’ bedding and clothing and reduce the risk of slips.
If the gel granules are put in the mouth they expand on contact with saliva risking airway obstruction. This has happened where patients have mistaken the sachets for sweets, or sugar or salt packets, but some incident reports also describe attempts of deliberate self-harm.
Healthcare providers are asked to review their overall approach to using these products.
Changes to the law governing fatal accident inquiries (FAIs) in Scotland will bring the legal framework for the process “into the 21st century”, the Scottish Government has said.16 Jun 2017
An FAI is a judicial process which investigates and determines the circumstances of some deaths occurring in Scotland. Currently, an FAI must take place when someone dies in custody in prison or in a police station, or a death is caused by an accident at work. They can be held in other circumstances if it is thought to be in the public interest. FAIs take place before a sheriff, who is required to produce a determination setting out time, place and cause of death, and any precautions or defects in the system which could have prevented the death.
Scotland’s new Standards have been launched, with human rights at their core.
The standards, which will be implemented on 1 April 2018, will apply to the NHS as well as services registered with the Care Inspectorate and Healthcare Improvement Scotland, and set out the standard people should expect when using health or social care services.
Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust has been fined for health and safety failings after a patient fell to his death.
The patient had been detained as an in-patient at Epsom Hospital when the incident occurred in May 2014.
Patient was in the courtyard with his mother while being observed by a nurse from inside the ward when he started to climb up onto the conservatory roof.
The nurse immediately ran into the courtyard but was unable to prevent him climbing over the roof. He then climbed up a 130-foot industrial chimney and after attempts to talk him down failed, he fell and sustained fatal injuries.
Fined £300,000 and costs of £16,769.00.